Seats in luxury apartments have skyrocketed as demand for them continues to rise.
But the league has faced increasing pressure from the American Civil Liberties Union over a series of police shootings of unarmed black men.
A week ago, the league announced it would no longer be using seat-belt signs on the field to inform fans that a player has been hit by a bullet.
“It’s a new trend in the NFL, and we are certainly not going to be doing that anymore,” Commissioner Roger Goodell said at a press conference.
But NFL teams have been issuing statements, including on Thursday, about the issue.
“We have an issue with police, and so we’ll have an announcement on that tomorrow,” said Saints linebacker Cameron Jordan, who is black.
“This is not the NFL I want to be a part of.
I’ve had enough of that.
I’m not a fan of police brutality.
I just think it’s not fair.”
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and the Saints, who are facing backlash for their comments, have not yet commented.
Jordan, the NFL’s longest-tenured player, said he is considering a lawsuit.
“I think it is going to hurt a lot of people, but I also think it will help a lot people,” he said.
The Saints, meanwhile, have issued a statement that says they are “committed to a safe environment for all of our players.”
The league has not yet responded to a request for comment.
NFL owners also have faced criticism over the recent police shootings in St. Louis, Minneapolis and Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
The league announced Thursday that it would be holding a meeting in Atlanta to discuss the matter.
“In light of the events in Ferguson and the recent incidents involving police in the United States, and in light of what we learned from the Dallas shooting and the New York City Police Department, we believe that a meaningful and meaningful discussion and discussion is necessary,” the league said.
A group of former NFL players, including former Cowboys star Jerry Jones, filed a federal lawsuit last month alleging racial discrimination and racial bias by the league.
The suit seeks $12 million in damages, which the NFL has denied.
Goodell has not commented on the lawsuit.
He said last week that the NFL will be “reviewing all of the relevant information to determine how best to address the issue.”
Goodell said Thursday that he had met with some players who were concerned about the way the league is handling the issue, but said he wanted to “get to the bottom of this matter” and would not comment further.
He has said the league would not be “going out of our way to be divisive.”
In addition to the lawsuits, the owners of some other NFL teams also have come out against the use of seat belts.
“The league will not be taking any further action until we have a resolution to this issue,” the Minnesota Vikings said in a statement.
The Washington Redskins, whose owner, Daniel Snyder, also owns the team, said they will be reviewing the issue in a “private and private” way.
“Our focus right now is on our players and what is happening on the football field, not our emotions and our concerns,” Snyder said in the statement.
In a statement, the New Orleans Saints said, “As a league, we are committed to the safety of our fans and players and we have always stood for the rights of our fellow citizens to express themselves peacefully.
We will continue to support the players who are speaking out.”
The St. Paul Saints said in an email that the team would be “working with our fans, the police and our players to address any concerns.”
The Jacksonville Jaguars said they would “conduct a thorough review” of the issue and “will have no further comment.”
The Pittsburgh Steelers and Cleveland Browns also said they were reviewing their policies, but did not offer specifics.
“While the issue of seat-belting is a controversial topic, we will continue working to ensure that the safety and security of our teams and fans is paramount,” Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said in his statement.
“At this time, we have no plans to issue any more statement on this issue.”